Monday, September 01, 2008

HUJ3: Reining it in

When I posted yesterday, I was playing way too aggressively preflop. I went over the edge with 3-bets and check-raises to the point where I lost control pot size and got committed too lightly for my tastes.

Once that happens, you know you're in big trouble.

Part of the problem was that I got caught up in 3-betting all of my suited and offsuit broadway hands, which won me some small pots but got me involved in large ones where I was dominated.

Fortunately, I had stepped down to the 2/4 and 3/6 games beforehand (rather than 5/10), but it was still kind of brutal when I got into raising wars with maniacs and lost.

I posted this link yesterday, but I'll post it again today: WiltOnTilt has responded to my question about the differences between playing a fluid and polarized preflop range. Basically, he says that it's a matter of style, and you need to be aware of how your preflop play influences your postflop hand ranges. Fascinating stuff.

I've since regrouped after I remembered some fundamental truths of NLH, and probably poker in general: Patience is a virtue. Pot control allows you to moderate winnings and losses. There's no need to go for the long ball all the time when a bloop single will do. The small battles add up, and they help you win the big ones later.

I booked a couple of winning sessions last night that helped me get back on track, although I was still down for the day.

Video watched: pr1nnyraiding: Episode One.

This video was exactly what I needed. It outlines the basics of heads-up play in a simple way that helped reinforce to me that tight(ish) play is perfectly acceptable, even when you're playing 40 percent of your hands (as in heads-up games).

The vid goes over starting hand ranges in position and out of position, touches on the goals of postflop play and reviews various opponent types. I can't wait to learn more.

No comments: