Tuesday, September 02, 2008

HUJ4: Dropping up

The difference in skill between 2/4 heads-up opponents and 5/10 opponents is truly amazing. I mean, some of these guys blow through their buy-ins at incredible speeds.

I was stubborn to insist on playing 5/10 for the last few weeks. Although I survived, I didn't thrive. But with bigger game selection and enormous fish at 2/4, I feel like it's far easier to pick my opponents' pockets like it's my job.

Of course I want to move up to higher limits because I anticipate bigger profits as long as I can keep winning. I like taking the easier money at lower levels, but I fear stagnation and complacency. I can't stand still for too long or else I may fall behind. You can see many poker players who keep playing the same full ring games or same tournaments, never branching out. That's no way to excel.

For example, I'd rather be a 2ptbb/100 winner at 10/20 ($80/100) than an 8 ptbb/100 at 2/4 ($64/100).

That said, money is money, and I'm not going to concern myself with playing too-high limits right now. What's important is that I keep building my skills and my bankroll so that I'm prepared when the time comes to move up again.

Video watched: pr1nnyraiding ep. 2: This video discusses playing against shortstackers in heads-up games. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's a good reinforcement of the idea that one-dimensional players typically follow the "weak bet=strong hand" and "overbet=weak hand" mentality, making them easy to read.

I was a bit enlightened to hear Krantz and WiltOnTilt talk about not being afraid to play shortstackers just because they tend to hit-and-run. If they suck at poker, what should I care if they try to hit and run?

No comments: