Thursday, August 10, 2006

Why don't you write that in your blog, you hipster scumbag?

A new World Series of Poker Champion will be decided today, and he will win a prize of $12 million. I'm pulling for Allen Cunningham, just because it's been so long since a pro won the Main Event. It's a great day for poker.

The WSOP isn't the only good thing coming to an end.

Card Club on Lord Admiral Radio, the oldest and best poker podcast, is going off the air. Cincinnati Sean and Brent Stacks have put on the show for 82 episodes, and I've listened to them from the start.

They said the show has run its course, which kind of makes sense because it seems like they don't have as much time as they used to.

I'll miss the show, though. I used to listen to it on my laptop while playing poker on my foam chair in Santiago, Chile. There's at least one last episode left before it goes off the air.

It seems that I'm a little behind the news on this one, but Bill Fillmaff has also wrapped up his hilarious parodies of Phil Hellmuth (and other pros) after nine episodes.

Fillmaff was always entertaining, especially in the early episodes before the team-up with Ultimate Bet.

It's too bad that all these things are ending, but I'm optimistic that new projects will rise up to take their place.

To my eternal surprise, poker continues to grow and thrive, despite all the government threats, forum flamers, glass tappers, rake hikes, jackpots and lawsuits. I heard somewhere that the Main Event next year is expected to attract up to 12,000 people! That's just crazy.

No comments: