Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Folding away

In my prime, I'd fold that so fast it would make your head spin.
--Doyle Brunson, "High Stakes Poker"


I know I should feel good about making the right move.

But when that move is folding in a large pot, I can't help but feel some regret over having lost that money in the middle.

I think to myself: Maybe my read was wrong. Maybe I should have re-raised. Maybe I would have sucked out.

But clearly, that's faulty thinking. Poker is about making the right move at the right time (or sometimes making the wrong move at the right time). Any regrets are just results-oriented thinking.

I laid down AA, QQ and AK several times. In the end, I only lost a small amount on the night. I could have taken chances with those hands that I laid down, but I thought I may well have been drawing slim. I was able to save my money for a better situation.

One such situation did come up, but then this bastard sucked out a flush on the river after I put him all-in on the turn. So it goes. Again, I should feel happy about this.

I'm ecstatic. I'm overjoyed. I'm satisfied with laying down premium starting hands on the flop.

Sure I am.

Would you call this all-in bet?

Party Poker ($6 no limit). Hand converted by Check Raised hand converter



Preflop (8 players): Hero is MP1 with

1 fold.

UTG+1 raises $12.00.

HERO raises $38.00.

5 folds.

UTG+1 calls ($26.00).



Flop (14.17 bets ($85) in pot, 2 players):



UTG+1 checks.

HERO bets $65.00.

UTG+1 raises $463.40.

HERO folds.



Summary:





UTG+1 doesn't show and won $609.90 (50.83bb)


2 comments:

Sean Keegan-Landis said...

This looks like a call to me, unless you have some background knowledge of your opponent's style. Let's check his range:

-big draws (8d9d, AdQd): likely, given the flop check-jam.

-TP/flush-draw (AdKd, KdQd): unlikely, since most players wouldn't check-jam with this, thinking (incorrectly) that milking you by calling and value betting later streets is better, and good players would probably reraise less (though jamming isn't a bad option with that much left).

-TP/no-draw or backdoor-draw (AKo, KsQd): possible, with all the draws out there, though your preflop MP reraise greatly lowers the likelihood of you holding any drawing hands, so your opponent shouldn't be too worried about them.

-two pair: unlikely, given an EP-raise-call preflop.

-set: unlikely for many players, more likely for good players who put you on a proper preflop-MP-reraise range, since a jam has value against likely calls from AK/AA/AdQd, but doesn't lose much value from likely folds from QQ/JJ hands that would put the breaks on come later streets anyway.

-bluff/weak made hand (85, JT): unlikely

So lacking evidence that your opponent is really good, I'd say calling is pretty safe here. You're likely way ahead or only a slight dog to the big draws.

There's more to consider against good players, as sets and TP/flush-draw get added to their range, and TP/no-draw may get removed from it.

Gnome said...

Thanks for the insight. I think this hand is a close call.
I put my opponent on a narrower range than you did: either a very big draw or a set. Against either of those hands, I like the fold because I'm behind and the pot odds aren't there.
The only hand I feel like I'm ahead of is AKo, and I don't think it's likely he would jam the flop with that kind of hand.