Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Tales of an overplayer

First things first. Check out these blogs that I've added to my roll:

Threebet 33
The Armchair Fisherman
BadBlood
Catching the Antichrist
Poker Retards
Go Be Rude
Grinder's Warehouse
High on Poker
Sloe Times
Tripjax
Twenty-one Outs Twice

---

One of the biggest leaks in my game continues to be my tendency to overplay hands.

I take rockets too far, I push in any time I think I have a coinflip situation, I refuse to believe I'm beat if I can't put my opponent on a reasonable holding that trumps my cards.

I've been thinking about what Phil Gordon says in his "Little Green Book":

"Very often the guy who flops the set against me will check-raise. When I get check-raised and have an overpair to the board, I will think long and hard before calling.
...

When I have only an overpair to the board, I do my best to play a very small pot."


Easier said than done, at least for me. I'm getting better at it, but I still am tempted to get it all in with Aces or Kings on the flop if I know the only thing that can beat me is a hidden set.

That can't be very wrong, considering the prior success I've had with such aggressive tactics, but I'm trying to get away from those big hands when I can.

Here's an example of a hand I wish I hadn't been stupid about:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: HTML)



UTG+1 ($416.50)

Hero ($394)

MP2 ($256.20)

CO ($400)

Button ($200)

SB ($180)

BB ($308.70)

UTG ($1127.41)



Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Ac, Ah. SB posts a blind of $2.

1 fold, UTG+1 calls $4, Hero raises to $16, 2 folds, Button calls $16, 1 fold, BB calls $12, UTG+1 folds.



Flop: ($54) Qs, 8c, 7c (3 players)

BB checks, Hero bets $40, Button folds, BB raises $292.70 (All-In), Hero calls $252.70.



Turn: ($639.40) 4d (2 players, 1 all-in)



River: ($639.40) Ks (2 players, 1 all-in)



Final Pot: $639.40



BB has Qh Qd (three of a kind, queens).

Hero has Ac Ah (one pair, aces).

Outcome: BB wins $639.40.

I could have folded (obviously), especially considering that my opponent was in the big blind and could have made two pair with any random cards he decided to take a chance on. I couldn't believe that he would make such an overbet with a set. I'm a moron.

Here's another hand that I may have overplayed:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: HTML)



UTG ($412.60)

UTG+1 ($435.04)

MP1 ($414.60)

MP2 ($366.74)

MP3 ($402.70)

CO ($404.50)

Button ($440.38)

SB ($882.96)

Hero ($398)



Preflop: Hero is BB with Qs, As. SB posts a blind of $2.

5 folds, CO raises to $20, 2 folds, Hero calls $16.



Flop: ($42) 9c, 8s, 6s (2 players)

Hero checks, CO bets $39, Hero raises to $120, CO calls $81.



Turn: ($282) Jd (2 players)

Hero bets $258 (All-In), CO calls $258.



River: ($798) 2h (2 players, 1 all-in)



Final Pot: $798



Hero has Qs As (high card, ace).

CO has Ac Kh (high card, ace).

Outcome: CO wins $798.

Based on the cards alone, I was a 66-34 dog on the turn, according to twodimes.

My thinking was that I had some fold equity with a push, and there was a chance that my hand was best. The more I think about this hand, the less good I feel about it. Someday I'll learn to slow down.

---

Play some ring games. The games are soooooo good.

4 comments:

Sean Keegan-Landis said...

"My thinking was that I had some fold equity with a push, and there was a chance that my hand was best."

What's CO's distrubution after his flop pot-bet & call of your check-raise? Two overs, Two overs & a gutshot, one over & a gutshot/open-ender, pair & a gutshot/open-ender, pair & an over, overpair, underpair, two pair, a set? It doesn't look like you're ahead of much when the Jack comes on the turn.

So yeah, you have fold equity, but I don't see how the fact that you might have the best hand should factor in your decision to jam the turn. It's not like you're value-jamming in the hopes that CO calls with KT or A7. You're jamming to push off weak made hands like 3rd or 4th pair, which may be a lot of his likely holdings.

Of course, what calls your turn jam must have you beat -- though barely in this odd instance where CO's call is pretty bad (the distribution he ought to put you on is crushing AK). But that's OK, because you've got a healthy combo of fold equity and a draw of anywhere from 9 to 18 outs.

kurokitty said...

I think in the first example if there was no possible 4-flush draw you probably could have gotten away from the hand. It's like something I saw with Barry Greenstein's AA in GSN's HSP.

In the second case, I like it, considering a toaster really has to be a toaster to commit like that with AK unimproved.

I actually am going to post soon about people overplaying AA on the WP.

KrazyBangs said...

Fix the 21 outs twice link.. you have trip jaxs linking twice.

Gnome said...

Fixed it. Thanks for the note.