Thursday, March 30, 2006

Bad Timing



I picked a fine time to run bad -- right when I was starting to feel like I could settle in to 15/30.

It pisses me off because I feel like I was playing well. I think I was playing better limit poker than I ever have. My reads were good, I was making strong calldowns as well as prompt folds when I knew I was beat.

But what can you do. I can't control when I get good cards and when I get bad ones.

Fortunately, my bankroll is still in pretty good shape. I think March will probably turn out to be a slight losing month, but whatever. And I don't feel like I'm stuck or anything, or that I have a big hill to climb to get back to where I was a few days ago.

I just need to take it easy and do the things I know that you're supposed to do when you aren't running well.

Stop playing the game that's beating you. Play a game that has always made you money. Relax. Don't push it.

Really, what it comes down to is that I lost a few big pots. If I had won those pots, I'd be writing about how well I've been running recently.

It's just annoying.

1 comment:

Victor_Enriq said...

Sometimes I feel that poker is like playing tennis. Professional tennis players can be playing their best, yet a single injury, and they can be down for several weeks, not being able to defend their points at an important tournament, hence they descend on the ranking system, that very well could be our bankroll. When they come back they can still be playing as well, yet the timing is not the same, and the weeks off take its toll on them.
Tennis as poker is a game of brains. Sometimes the referees wont cut you any slack, and all your borderlines balls are out, and your opponent (a lot of times, an opponent that's a worse player than you) is in, every time its borderline. Sounds familiar?
Sometimes a riding tennis star, cant keep rising due to bad luck in the form of bad drafts in important tournaments, always playing with Federer on first or second rounds. Bad timing there too.
If we keep looking I'm sure we'll see a lot more similarities.
Keep up the good poker!