Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Picking good games

Game selection is so critical in online poker because it allows you to choose the skill level of your opponents. If you're in it to make money, you want to be playing against opponents who are worse than you.

There are several ways to evaluate what constitutes a good game.

One way is to look for games with a high percentage of players per flop, a stat that's available in the lobbies of many sites for anyone to see. Another way is to check out TableRatings.com. Both of these methods are OK, but they rely on data available to everyone, which means that you often end up on waiting lists for the best games rather than sitting in them.

A better way is to use a program like SpadeEye, which I recently wrote a review of for the recently launched site, Poker Tech Reviews. I'll leave it to my review to explain how SpadeEye works.

I've found that seat selection is more important than table selection. By that I mean a tight table doesn't matter as much as long as you're sitting directly to the left of the fish.

You also want the big stacks to your right, passive players to your left and tight players in the big blind when you're on the button.

1 comment:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I did check out spadeeye after you left a comment. I'll take a look at your reviews later tonight (can't get to poker sites from work). :(