Sunday, August 03, 2008

HOTD: wtf is a wheel?

I had been playing this villain heads-up, and he had already sucked out on me twice for my stack.

The first time, I got him in with higher two pair, and he hit his two-out kicker for a boat. The second hand, I got him to put his stack in with top pair Jacks (King kicker) against my Aces, and of course he rivered trips.

Finally, I doubled up when I turned top pair to go with a flush draw, and he called all-in with overcards and a different flush draw.

Then this beauty of hand came up, where I made things right in a 520-bet pot:

Full Tilt Poker, $5/$10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $3,312.50

Hero (SB): $2,598

Pre-Flop: 5 4 dealt to Hero (SB)
Hero raises to $30, BB raises to $112, Hero calls $82

Flop: ($224) 3 T 9 (2 Players)

BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($224) A (2 Players)
BB bets $165, Hero calls $165

River: ($554) 2 (2 Players)
BB bets $425, Hero raises to $2,321 and is All-In, BB calls $1,896

Results: $5,196 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
BB mucked A K (a pair of Aces) and LOST (-$2,598 NET)
Hero showed 5 4 (a straight, Five high) and WON $5,195.50 (+$2,597.50 NET)

Villain timed down to 1 second left before hitting call. Gotta love it when he calls off his stack with top pair there. Ship it!

I've been playing 5/10 heads-up games daily for three weeks now. The first half of that time, I dropped about 10 buy-ins while I got my bearings and learned which players to avoid. Since then, I've won back those 10 buy-ins, and I feel confident in my game.

These heads-up games will be very profitable.

No comments: