Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Poker is a fad

I don't know what's up with these people.

Under the gun? Min-raise. Late position after two limpers? Min-raise. Open on the button? Min-raise.

It's like a disease. Everyone's doing it.

I probably shouldn't complain, because I don't think it's an effective move except in rare situations, which means I am directly benefiting from fishies' repeated and ill-advised mistakes. I benefit every time my opponent screws up.

But that doesn't stop min-raises from being annoying.

I don't alter my starting hand requirements ONE BIT against a min-raise, so the min-raise isn't forcing out worse hands. And any hand that warrants a min-raise would accomplish so much more with a full raise.

I think this is basic information here. Play strong poker, win lots of money.

I guess min-raises can work out well.

Like in that hand from the Mirage, where this dude min-raised from first position and I raised my pocket Aces from the button. He called and hit a set on the flop, and we both got all in. I hit my Ace on the turn.

See? Min-raises work out great! :)

2 comments:

Gnome said...

Victor,
I think there is certainly a place for minimum raises -- in heads-up matches, for deception, in tournaments and in rare occassions where it's correct to build a pot.
So yeah, I agree with your reasoning.
All I'm saying is that I think min-raises are way overused in cash games.

deliverator said...

I only use min raises to be a dick. Unfortunately that means I use them a lot.