Friday, June 16, 2006

Jopke

I'm sitting here, a little tipsy after a few drinks, playing a 2/4 no limit game because I'm an idiot who couldn't find an acceptable sit-n-go despite my state of mind.

And I'm telling myself, "I'll just double up once and then sit out. Just once is all I need."

So when the 58 percent maniac raises to $20 preflop and I have 55 one off the button, what do I do? I call and intend to raise the flop on a bluff unless it's a very scary flop.

The flop comes 7 high ... with a 5 on it! I hit big. I called the $40 flop bet.

Then on the turn, some weird rag comes, the donkey bets, I raise, and he goes all in. I call his turned straight, which he made with 76o.

I start yelling, "Pair the board! Pair the board! Pair the board!"

Then the river brings that perfect card: the 6 of clubs to pair the board, give me a boat and crush his straight for a $500 profit. Hell yeah.

That's just how I've been rolling.

I want to remember this -- what it's like to be making good money when I'm playing well and getting lucky when I happen to be behind. (Fortunately, I thought of most of what I was going to write before I went to the bar.)

The main thing is that I'm taking more notes than I ever have before, and I'm listening to my instincts because they feel right. I'm not deluding myself when I feel like I can read my opponents' hands; I'm right a high percentage of the time, and I'm not getting sucked out on either.

Here's what I'm doing differently:

_As mentioned, I'm taking more notes. I'm trying to put a note on someone every hand if possible.

_I'm keeping track of all the action from start to finish.

_I'm being patient.

_I'm only playing two or three tables at a time.

_I'm thinking as I'm playing and applying my reads properly.

I know good runs never last forever, but I'm going to live it up while it does.

1 comment:

CC said...

Well, you've now spoken about it, so beware...

Way to go on the great run.