Thursday, June 22, 2006

Fish must be nocturnal ...

Because these tables just get better the later I stay up. It's about 11:30 p.m. here, which means it's 5:30 a.m. on the East Coast. Maybe all these people still awake are the ones trying to get even or sleep-deprived.

I made one of the worst moves I can remember last night. It was terrible. I won't go into the gory details because I'm too embarrassed, but let's just say that I pushed all in with a low pocket pair on the flop against a set. Woops.

I thought at the time that I had good reason for what I was doing because I had extensive notes on my opponent. I made a read that this was the kind of situation he was bluffing at repeatedly, and I decided my pocket pair had a better than even chance of winning the hand.

Of course, this play led me to question myself and my seemingly awful play. Where did I go wrong?

Obviously, my read was wrong.

But I don't think I was incorrect in trusting my analysis of the hand. Unfortunately, that analysis was flawed.

I made a snap judgment based on my read without fully considering that my read was based on a small sample size. I didn't account enough for the chance that my read was incorrect.

I relied on what I thought my opponent didn't have rather than what I thought was the range of hands he could have had. Bush league. Whatever.

Ach. I'm ready to sleep, but if there were ever a time for toothpicks to prop my eyes open and keep me at the table, this is it. I'll give these tables a few more minutes...

No comments: