Monday, April 09, 2007

Playing 'em like Aces

April is going well so far. I'm playing better poker, and I'm up a couple of buy-ins.

I noticed that I'd been folding to continuation bets around 75-80 percent of the time, and even more at some tables. I figured the way to fix this problem wasn't to call more continuation bets, but to raise more preflop.

This means that I've been putting in a third raise with some medium-strength hands in addition to AA and KK. I've found it necessary to four-bet light when your opponents are three-betting you light. So far, they've folded every time! The fourth bet means Aces, right? One guy typed in chat that he laid down TT preflop to my re-re-raise when I held J9s. He would've folded to my continuation bet anyway.

One problem with this strategy is that it won't take long for people to start looking me up. So I'll need to be sure to also make a third raise with AA and KK when I'm against people who have seen me raise a lot recently.

Hero ($1998)
Villain ($2599)
dealt to Hero [9s Js]
Hero raises to $70
Villain raises to $180
Hero raises to $500
Villain folds
Returned uncalled bets $320 to Hero
Hero collected $390 from Main pot

No comments: