Friday, May 19, 2006

Poker's a grind...



... And I love it.

I've been playing for bonuses almost exclusively, which has been fine. There's not much exciting there to report. Multitabling no limit tables doesn't really lend themselves to good or bad beat stories -- all the hands come and go so quickly. Even the spectacular ones sometimes blur together.

As a result of my grinding, I've recovered from my $3,000 April downswing, so my bankroll is back up over $9,000. That's good news. And although I want to hit the limit tables again, I'm going to hold myself back while I continue to clear these bonuses. They're just so profitable with little risk of ruin.

Some people say they play poker for the competition, the learning experience or for fun. And I agree that those are compelling reasons to play poker.

For me, what keeps me coming back is the money. I want to win, and I want to win the most that I can. I want to make consistent profits and maintain my bankroll. I want to steadily grow my earnings while limiting my risk. I want to move up in limits in hopes that I can attain a better hourly rate.

I don't know why I value the money aspect of the game so much. I never thought of myself as a greedy person.

Recently, I've become a little preoccupied with trying to supplement my income and learn to make wise investments. I need to hurry up and save as much as I can now, because I don't want to have to work until I'm 65.

I hope in the future I'll make more money in game play alone than I would by chasing bonuses. For now, the bonuses are just too lucrative to ignore.

No comments: