Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Waiting in the weeds

The tables seemed tighter than they should have been tonight, but that didn't matter. I managed to win a buy-in anyway.

It's silly how some people will make a small mistake and let it become a big one. Tonight, my profits came from a guy who limped with AA. I called with J9o from the small blind, flopped two pair and turned a boat. When he raised me on the turn, I pushed all-in, and it was all over baby.

I think I'll like Full Tilt as my new home. I've always thought the software and gameplay was good, but I haven't been anything more than an occasional player there for a long time. The game selection of Party Poker, the high rakeback percentage at Eurobet and juicy bonuses across the poker universe kept me busy over the last year and a half.

With those distractions gone, Full Tilt was the logical choice.

The games weren't as good as I would have liked. I constantly had to keep looking for better tables as I was playing, and the donkeys seemed to bust too quickly once I found a game to my liking. I'm not saying the games at Full Tilt are rocky or anything. It was just that kind of night where I had a hard time settling in.

It didn't matter. With accurate reads and smart plays, I can win money off any type of player. I don't always need loose-weak opponents, although they're still my favorite brand of fish.

This is how poker should be. I should be able to win money by virtue of the fact that I'm playing my best game rather than waiting in the weeds for a calling station to pay me off when I finally do hit a big hand. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Online poker will always be profitable for solid players, but we'll have to be prepared to constantly adjust to a changing climate -- which is what we do at the tables every day anyway.

No comments: