Friday, March 09, 2007

Smacked!

Well, I finally hit a rough patch, which was bound to happen at the 10/20 NL games I've been playing. Thankfully, my bankroll is an adequate cushion for these inevitable swings.

It would be one thing if I lost just because of bad beats, but I made some marginal bluffs and all-in bets myself. I had been running so hot that I almost took for granted that I would hit my flush draws or always get folds to my big bets. I forgot a little bit that I'm playing against some solid players who will make pretty accurate reads and make me pay for -EV plays in the long run.

And the long run is what it's all about anyway. Sure, I lost a few buy-ins. But we all know that it happens, and these downswings are insignificant compared to the big picture. I had a bad few hundred hands in which I didn't play my best and ran into some tough situations.

That's in the past. I'll step down to 5/10 for a few days to recover some of the losses, and then pick up right where I left off in a few days (hopefully).

Now it's back to the grind! You gotta love the grind.

---

In other news, congrats to Slb for taking down cc's heads-up challenge! There were 10 runners. I beat cc in my first match after a tough battle. Then Slb took me down in the next round in another back-and-forth match.

Heads-up play is a lot of fun. Cc said he was going to organize this thing again sometime soon, and I hope to see more people show up! In addition, it's one of the few weekday blogger events I'm able to attend because normally I'm still at work (due to the time change) when they're scheduled. This one didn't start till 11 p.m. EST, so I was able to make it.

5 comments:

Fuel55 said...

I suspect I am one of the few bloggers around here who can truly feel the sting.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Love your cold acceptance of the bad streaks, Gnome. I hope you keep writing about your ongoing cash game adventures, it is great reading for someone like me.

Pseudo_Doctor said...

yea i completely feel you on the hurt though I've never played 10/20 full time. You'll bounce back before you know it rocking it again...gl

slb159 said...

Thanks for the shoutout.

Read that cc was proposing a larger buy-in for the next one, so depending on what it is, I should be out to the next one in order for you to exact your revenge.

kurokitty said...

Re: Fuel. I believe we all feel it. When one of us loses a buy-in, it's like a strange disturbance in the Force. Like millions of voices suddenly crying out, and then going silent. LOL.