Friday, February 23, 2007

Slow Down

When Andy Beal took on the pros in a multi-million dollar heads-up match, he attached a tiny battery-operated motor in his sock. It vibrated every eight seconds. After Beal made every decision in the game, he would wait to act on his decision until the next vibration, according to Michael Craig in "The Professor, the Banker and the Suicide King."

He used his ankle vibrator (insert joke here) to avoid giving off tells. A common tell is how quickly you make your decision, and he seemingly randomized his timing by waiting to take his action until he felt the buzz on his leg.

Online, the timing tell is just about the only one you can pick up, since you can't see your opponent physically sitting across from you. But it's not a reliable tell because it's easily manipulated.

Timing tells aren't the primary reason for writing this post. I've been trying to train myself to wait several seconds for other purposes.

There are two reasons behind this. The first is that if I take my time, I'm less likely to make a mistake. In big bet poker especially, one misread or poorly thought-out plan can cost you your stack. Waiting a few seconds to think before you act can clarify your thoughts, and I've changed my mind plenty of times in that time span.

The second reason is for deception purposes. Waiting to act can be construed as weakness by your opponents. Why would you take your time if you hold the nuts? I've had people make insane all-in bluffs on me before just because I took a few seconds to decide. I bet I've also gotten a few calls that I otherwise wouldn't have because my slowed-down action creates doubt in my opponent's mind.

---

And now for a hand of the day! Let's add Mark Vos to the short list of pros I've had the honor of busting.

This hand is an example of the non-slowplay working to perfection:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Gnome [3c 3h]
Mark Vos raises to $35
Gnome calls $35

*** FLOP *** [Qc 3s Qs]
Mark Vos bets $57
Gnome raises to $155
Mark Vos calls $98

*** TURN *** [Qc 3s Qs] [Js]
Mark Vos checks
Gnome bets $300
Mark Vos raises to $810, and is all in
Gnome calls $502, and is all in

*** RIVER *** [Qc 3s Qs Js] [8d]
Mark Vos shows a flush, Ace high
Gnome shows a full house, Threes full of Queens
Gnome wins the pot ($1,996)

4 comments:

Fuel55 said...

Love those flush monkeys on paired boards ...

kurokitty said...

LOL nh!

Guin said...

VNH! I found at lower limits that thinking does the opposite of what you said. Guys start to assume you are trying to figure out what to do with the nuts and fold!

Of course anytime you can get people to fold at low levels you can increase win rate.

Unknown said...

Interesting. He had no odds to call you and was, as Fuel said, chasing a ful on a paired board. It's nice to see pros make mistakes too.

Oh, and very nice hand, by the way.

Plus thanks for stopping by and clairifying my whining. :)