Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Electric Goldfish

You gotta love those days when you win more than 10 percent of your bankroll in an hour and a half. Here's the best hand of the night:

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
6 players
Converter


Pre-flop: (6 players) HERO is Button with :ah :ac
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $35, CO folds, HERO raises to $120, SB folds, BB raises to $420, UTG+1 folds, HERO calls.


Flop: :9s :4h :as ($880, 2 players)
BB checks, HERO checks.


Turn: :ad ($880, 2 players)
BB checks, HERO is all-in $704, BB calls all-in $580.
Uncalled bets: $124 returned to HERO.


River: :4s ($2040, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $2040)



Results:
Final pot: $2040
HERO showed Ah Ac
BB showed Kh Ks

I felt like the only way to get paid off was to make my opponent think I was trying to bluff him off the pot. He called at the last second before he timed out.

So yeah ... sweet!

I mean, I rolled over those tables. Only one bluff failed, and most of my all-ins got paid off. It's pretty rare when you both get good cards and get players to call you down.

One thing I was thinking about before I logged on was how I feel like I'm on some form of tilt all the time except when I'm playing poker. There's always something that I'm either pissed off about, bored with, paranoid about or overly hyper about. On top of that, I'm short-tempered. It's amazing I'm ever able to concentrate.

The addition of a second monitor was a key to the improvement of my game. All that extra space makes multitasking a million times easier. And if I find something distracting (like chat or music), I can just turn off that app.

Anyways, I got lucky and played well. I won some more later on at a few 2/4 NL tables with absinthe.

When I finally logged off, I found I had scored my biggest single-day win ever in two short sessions -- more than four buy-ins at 5/10. Woohoo! Bring it, Vegas.

*The Electric Goldfish was the name of a few friends' band when I was in sixth or seventh grade. Their hit was a kick-ass cover of "Knockin on Heaven's door."

2 comments:

Pauly said...

Nice take down, sir!

Rod said...

And that is why I play Limit!

I lost KK twice last night and I did not kick my dog once.