Monday, March 13, 2006

Bad habits, and Microsoft wins again



If I were a better poker player, I wouldn't make the same mistakes over and over again.

I think that's the most annoying thing about my game: when I lose, I feel bad about the decisions I've made. Sure, you can't control bad cards from falling. But you can control how you play them.

Running bad happens. Playing poorly doesn't have to.

Let me confess my sins:

_I get overaggressive when there's no need to. I fall back on the destructive philosophy of relentless aggression until met with resistance. Against calling stations, this is just plain bad poker if you don't have at least something to back it up with. Aggression is all well and good, but it's only a means to an end.

_I get impatient from the blinds and try to force pots come to me, rather than guiding them in my direction.

_I try steal raises from middle position with late position hands.

_I try steal raises with low pocket pairs. Low pocket pairs truly are the suckzor.

_I write lists of things that I'm doing wrong, but really it's over-analysis of small mistakes that could potentially lead to an overcorrection.

---

Microsoft wins again! Bastards!

My computer, MarkNet, had these weird problems since I bought it, and I could never figure out what the problem was. Files would disappear, the file system would eventually become corrupt, and the hard drives would deteriorate until they couldn't function anymore.

I was using a pirated version of Windows XP Pro because Windows XP Home doesn't support dual-processor systems, which is a huge rip. It made me really mad, and I wasn't about to give my money to those bastards.

But it turns out, it appears there was something wrong with the pirated copy of Windows that somehow threatened system integrity. The most damning evidence was that any time I ran Disk Defragmenter, the system became unstable. Disk Defragmenter should not do that!

So I went out and bought a full, legitimate copy of Windows XP Pro. Damn you, Microsoft.

I'm installing Linux soon. That'll teach 'em.

No comments: